ss_blog_claim=17cc6e1d8cd65fdbdc8a677d66b74513 ss_blog_claim=17cc6e1d8cd65fdbdc8a677d66b74513

Friday, April 17, 2009

Where My Blacktors At?




As of lately this movie reviewer has been watching her fair share of black romantic comedies. When I was talking to my best friend about this situation she put it simply because "Girl you're black , and looking for love." Maybe. Or maybe I was watching them because I cant find my quality black romantic comedies and black love stories in the theaters any more!!

Remember there was a time from about 1999 to 2004 when we had this nice steady stream of black romantic movies. Films such as Brown Sugar, The Wood, The Brothers, Two Can Play That Game, Breaking all The Rules, Deliver Us From Eva, Love Jones, Love and Basketball and to me the top of the heap The Best Man. It also would include what I've branded the "Black Pack". The most common players in these movies would include Taye Diggs, Morris Chestnut, Sanaa Lathan and Gabriel Union with a few supporting characters like Omar Epps, Vivica Fox, Nia Long, Tamala Jones, maybe a rapper turned actor like L.L. Cool J and Queen Latifah to round out the cast.

These films would be like any other romantic comedy. You know the whole boy meets girl, boy falls for girl, some issue happens where they are mad at each other, then they make up and get together and all that jazz. The only major difference would just be the color of the cast and usually some comedian would be in it to be the comic relief. Not since the blaxploitation movies of the 70's and the break dancing/rap movies of the 80's had we seen such a large swell of movies that showcased new upcoming black actors. These movies were enthusiatically recieved by audiences of all colors. So why arent' they in the movie theatres now!?!

However, if I were to walk down the aisle in Blockbuster video or go on Netflix I would see a long list of straight to video black films that I've never even heard of. Does Hollywood think they are non-profitable so they put them straight to DVD? Were we not supporting these movies like we should have? Is it because Black Folks watch too many damn bootleg movies so these films werent seeing the profit that they should have? Maybe. But also we have to look into finding good material to film, because if I have to sit through another film like the Seat Filler I will hurt somebody.

Fortunately Tyler Perry has been picking up some of the slack in recent years with the black romantic comedy through his blockbusters Diary of Mad Black Woman, Madea's Family Reunion, and Why Did I Get Married ?just to name a few. Bottom line is we have to support these films, because in the end no matter what race you are you're just watching a good movie. And that is what it's all about.


So excuse me, it's time for me to watch my guilty pleasure B*A*P*S

NY indieseen readers!! I want to hear your opinions on black films. I wanna hear what your favorite black romantic comedies and black love stories are. Email me at moviechik80@hotmail.com






No comments: