ss_blog_claim=17cc6e1d8cd65fdbdc8a677d66b74513 ss_blog_claim=17cc6e1d8cd65fdbdc8a677d66b74513

Wednesday, February 28, 2007

A David Fincher Classic

EXT. MARSHLANDS -- EARLY EVENING

Mills sees Somerset coming and pulls Doe so that Doe stands.

JOHN DOE
(quietly, watching)
Here he comes.

MILLS
(shouts to Somerset)
What the fuck is going on?

JOHN DOE
(to Mills)
I want you to know, I wish I could have
lived like you do.

Somerset starts running towards Mills, mud splattering.

SOMERSET
Mills... put down your gun! Throw it away!

Mills leaves Doe behind, walks towards Somerset, gun down.

MILLS
What?

Somerset is fifty yards away and closing.

SOMERSET
Throw your gun down now!

MILLS
What are you talking about? What happened?

JOHN DOE
Are you listening to me, Detective Mills?
I'm trying to tell you how much I admire
you... and your pretty wife Tracy.

Mills freezes, turns to Doe. Doe smiles. Somerset is close.

SOMERSET
Throw your weapon, detective! Now!

MILLS
(to John Doe)
What did you say?

JOHN DOE
It's surprising how easily a member of the
press can purchase information from the men
in your precinct.

SOMERSET
David... please...

JOHN DOE
I visited your home this morning, after you
left.

Mills is filled with an aching terror.

JOHN DOE
I tried to play husband... tried to taste
the life of a simple man, but it didn't
work out. So, I took a souvenir.

Mills turns to look at Somerset with pleading eyes. Somerset
holds out his hand.

SOMERSET
Give me the gun.

JOHN DOE
Her pretty head.

MILLS
Somerset...

JOHN DOE
Because I envy your normal life. Envy is
my sin.

Somerset can't hold back tears.

Fury rises in Mill and he turns to level his gun at John Doe.

Somerset raises his gun and points it at Mills.

SOMERSET
No!

Mills sees Somerset's gun, raises his gun to Somerset.

MILLS
Tell me it's not true.

SOMERSET
I can't let you do this...

Mills steps forward, enraged.

MILLS
Put your gun down!!

SOMERSET
Don't do this... please...

MILLS
Put the gun down, Somerset!

A pause. Somerset's gun hand is trembling. The wind whips
across them. The HELICOPTER can be HEARD distantly. Somerset
throws his gun down.

SOMERSET
David, listen to me...

Mills goes to grab John Doe by the throat and puts the gun to
Doe's forehead, blind with rage.

Somerset holds his hand behind his back, opens his switchblade.

SOMERSET
He wants this! He wants you to do it!

Doe is staring into Mills' eyes with wild expectation.

JOHN DOE
Kill me.

Doe lowers his head, waiting for execution.

Mills holds the gun at Doe's head, undecided, furious.

Somerset edges towards them.

MILLS
(looks to Somerset)
Stop it! You stay away!

Somerset moves the switchblade so he's holding it by the blade,
ready to throw, keeping it hidden.

SOMERSET
I can't let you do this!

Mills kicks Doe and throws him backwards on the ground. The
HELICOPTER is CLOSER.

Mills stands over Doe and points the gun.

JOHN DOE
She begged for her life, and for the life
of your baby inside her.

Mills' face fills with confusion -- then a wave of horror.

Doe's eyes register shock.

JOHN DOE
You didn't know.

SOMERSET
NO!


No comments: